Friday, September 17, 2010

Does Your Weight Transfer In Stack and Tilt?

In the previous blog I wrote an answer to a readers question about Stack & Tilt.  Below is the rest of my answer.

“I read an article in the NYT about the Stack and Tilt. Is there anything to this? I see the ads of all the tour players’ switching.” 

Force plate recordings of Stack &Tilters who claim there is no weight transfer show just the opposite. Scientist Rob Neal who holds a Ph.D. in Bio Mechanics sums his heavily documented research on S&T: “… I hope that I have provided evidence to question the statements in the P&B [S&T] articles and at least awaken the consciousness of golf coaches. There is a large chasm between “feel” and “real”. Thus, while it might, for example, feel as though weight is not transferred, the real data show that not to be true.”

A Straw Golfer

S&T has created a bit of a straw man, claiming that traditional instruction teaches a lateral move away from the target.  I think the majority of teachers understand that it is possible to coil into your trail side without this big lateral sway.  Most of us teach coiling than “covering the golf ball” so the S&T bogie man RE the lateral slide is just not the problem. What is a problem, however, is a twenty handicapper trying to recover from what is basically a reverse weight shift by flinging the upper part of the body back away from the target and timing it perfectly in the mere ½ second from the top to impact.  They perform this stack, tilt and fling because they feel reduced power and are trying to make up for it.  Of course some golfers have a lateral sway -- what I am saying is that we do not teach the lateral sway.

Perfect is the Enemy of the Good

There are 26 million golfers who don’t have the time for “Perfect” i.e. a complicated method where everything must fit perfectly or it’s a disaster. As Baddeley said when asked why he switched away from the Stack and Tilt: “because it just got too mechanical and technical for me. Things got a little crowded in my head, and I lost my feel.”

If you devise a method that takes perfect coherence or it doesn’t work then in all practically ‘it doesn’t work.’



No comments:

Post a Comment